Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft failing security test?

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:02:47 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Chris Wysopal <cwysopal () atstake com>

Forwarded from: McDonald Patrick <mcdonald_patrick () bah com>

I have to respectfully disagree with Chris Wysopal.

<snip>

"Chris Wysopal, director of research and development for security
company @Stake, argued that an early warning can sometimes
actually hurt security, tipping off malicious attackers to the
vulnerability."

<snip>

Does early warning help script kiddies, most definitely.  However
it also helps admins protect their systems against these attacks.
A script kiddie can't use an exploit that an admin has prepared
against. Thus the exploit is useless against an informed admin.

Seems there was some selective <snip>ing.  You left out the part where
I say. "It does make sense to warn people up front that they can take
actions now". If admins/users can take action on their own it is a
good idea to let them know.

The complete context is this:

<snip> Chris Wysopal, director of research and development for
security company @Stake, argued that an early warning can sometimes
actually hurt security, tipping off malicious attackers to the
vulnerability.

Still, Wysopal said, with the Plug and Play incident, Microsoft could
have told customers to just turn off the function if they weren't
using it.

"It does make sense to warn people up front that they can take actions
now," Wysopal said. "I would like to see people not rely on patches so
much. I was disappointed with the FBI's retraction (after they)
proposed a solution that did not require a patch."

<snip>

Cheers,

Chris

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.