Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Security exec picked for board

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 05:55:07 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: "Huggins, Michael" <mhhuggins () firstcommand com>

Interesting that all "Security Expert"  believe that just because one
is placed in a position of authority, or selected for responsibility
that one must think and behave as they do.

My concern is not where the individual cut his teeth but, what will
that individual bring to the table.  When I hear the banter that is
generated by, "security experts" regarding the lack of concern of AOL,
or MS or even the repetitive US Government Receives Failing Grade In
Information Security or labeling federal international statutes
irrelevant cause they don't see it the way you do.  I see you whipping
them but, I do not see you offering up your 100,000 plus consultant
job to fix the problem.

My 25 Years of experience has shown me that money doesn't solve issues
people do. As security experts we should be providing assistance and
recommendations to those desiring to better our environment.  More
productivity is wasted in whining than in any other arena.

There are a multitude of government and private solutions that we
could better serve then lambasting the individuals and corporations
that we all know (truly) are trying to better the environment we
operate in.

I recommend each of us to take a look at the NIST draft documents,
Participate in the Human Firewall evaluation, Contact SANS (SCORE) and
other multiple (free no cost but, your effort) solutions looking to
improve security.

Respectfully Submitted

Michael H. Huggins, CISSP, CTOC USN (ret)

Forwarded from: Bill Barrett <bill_barrett () uhaul com>

Forwarded from: Ejovi Nuwere <ejovi () ejovi net>

He holds a bachelor's degree in business administration and a master
of arts in organizational management from the University of Phoenix.

Cool! The person who is in charge of protecting America from cyber
attackers recieved his degree from an Online University. I feel real
safe now.

Actually at the time that he earned his degree the University of
Phoenix didn't offer an online masters program.  Nor is it strictly
online anyway, you still have to attend classes.  all of which is
beside the point.  What bothers me is that his big experience that
qualifies him for the job is working for Microsoft.  Yep, that's a
bastion of computer security.

-WTB

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.