Information Security News mailing list archives

[defaced-commentary] No more mirrors, this is the end ;/

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 02:39:39 -0600 (CST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:19:26 -0500 (EST)
From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
To: defaced-commentary () attrition org
Subject: [defaced-commentary] No more mirrors, this is the end ;/ (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Zillion <zillion () defaced be>
To: defacement-list () safemode org
Cc: defacement-summary () safemode org
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:11:12 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: No more mirrors, this is the end ;/

All,

No more defacements will be mirrored on safemode.org. As you know
this mirror was mostly run by me, zillion. I have been running
safemode for several years now and reached a point where I do no
longer appreciate doing it. The defacing scene is evaluating in
such a way that in order to keep up with it you require a full team
of people willing to take mirrors. This site is sucking up all my
free time, energy and has a negative influence on my personal live.

In the early beginnings every defacement notification mail was
exciting and always special in some kind of way. Also until a year
ago the daily amount of defacements where so low that I *appreciated*
all of them. Now every morning I open my mailbox with 100-150 emails.
Often defacers mail from hacked systems, send mass hacks in 20
separate emails (in order to try and get a bigger record), send
fake defacements, send mail bombs etc etc... it all makes me tired
and not want to do this anymore.

New cyber crime laws have also influenced my decision to stop running
this mirror. Running a defacement mirror without breaking any of
these laws (if this is possible) requires a lot of discipline and
takes away the fun element.

I would like to thank all people who have helped me over the years
(especially barre and mystakill) and will do my best to keep this
site online and available for the public.

Regards,

zillion

-
The information and commentary is Copyright 2001, by the individual author.
Permission is granted to quote, reprint or redistribute provided the text is not
altered, and the author and attrition.org is credited. The opinions expressed
in this mail are not necessarily the opinion of all Attrition staff members.

Commentary Archive: http://www.attrition.org/security/commentary/
The Attrition Mirror: http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/
Country/TLD Statistics: http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/country.html
Attrition Defacement Statistics: http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/stats.html
Operating System Graphs: http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/os-graphs.html

Contacting Attrition Staff: staff () attrition org

To subscribe to Defaced Commentary, send mail to majordomo () attrition org
with "subscribe defaced-commentary" in the BODY of the mail (without
quotes). To unsubscribe, include "unsubscribe defaced-commentary" in
the BODY of the mail.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.