Information Security News mailing list archives

Dogs hunt hackers

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 01:21:10 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,4942033%255E9787,00.html

By PETER FRILINGOS
August 21, 2002

THE Bulldogs have called in computer security experts, fearing a team
of hackers stole the confidential salary cap information that now
threatens their immediate existence in the NRL.

Computer experts spent the past 48 hours investigating hi-tech
software systems at both the football and leagues clubs.

The investigation comes as Bulldogs chief executive Bob Hagan
yesterday emerged as the first high-profile casualty of the salary cap
scandal, resigning his post in a day of upheaval.

While Mr Hagan was quitting, Canterbury Leagues club chairman Gary
McIntyre was offering his head to both boards.

But with Mr McIntyre absent from the room while both bodies considered
his position, the boards unanimously asked him to remain as leagues
club supremo and legal adviser.

The Bulldogs fear corporate sabotage could explain how the salaries of
the entire first grade squad found its way into the hands of enemies
of the club and its billion dollar Oasis development at Liverpool.

Mr McIntyre last night reluctantly spoke about his fears that the
computer systems had been illegally accessed.

"We accept our culpability on the salary cap issue but I am very
concerned that our predicament is more than the cap issue," he said.

"We have a billion dollar deal at Liverpool and we are genuinely
concerned that there has been unlawful access to the computer systems
of our football and leagues clubs and associated entities.

"It involves sensitive and privileged documents of our magnificent
sporting and entertainment project known as the Oasis at Liverpool."

And in the face of almost certain expulsion from the NRL playoff
series, Mr McIntyre later foreshadowed legal action to ensure the club
remained in the hunt for the premiership.

That veiled threat drew an immediate response from NRL chief executive
David Gallop, the man who will decide the club's fate, probably by the
end of the week.

"The Bulldogs voluntarily entered into a club agreement which included
an obligation to comply with salary cap rules," Mr Gallop said.

Mr Hagan insisted he was not forced to resign from his post and
objected to the Bulldogs being labelled cheats for breaching the
salary cap by $1 million over two years.

"In light of admissions made by the Bulldogs to the NRL in relation to
salary cap breaches I have decided to resign as chief executive
officer," he said.

"As the CEO I am ultimately accountable for all that happens in the
club and clearly someone must take responsibility for one of the
darkest periods in the history of the club.

"It is a decision that I make with a great deal of sorrow.

"Once again I apologise tofans and I urge them to continue to support
a team that has achieved tremendous success with their dedication and
with a team spirit that is unlike any I have seen before.

"Having said that I do believe that alternative options need to be
investigated to ensure that clubs can retain players they have
invested extensive time and money in developing."

Mr McIntyre said the written advice from the league last year was that
the penalty for a salary cap breach was to be a maximum fine of
$500,000 and the loss of a maximum of four competition points to be
served in the following year.

"The rules do not expressly provide for the expulsion of a team from
the competition, nor has a warning been given that such an option
could be taken," Mr McIntyre said.

"To take such action would be grossly unfair, unconscionable and
unlawful.

"The club would be entitled to protect its legal rights."

Mr Gallop's reply left no doubt the NRL intended to enforce the cap
provisions.

"All fans would question the credibility of attacking the rules only
once you've been caught," Mr Gallop said.

"The Bulldogs voluntarily entered into a club agreement which included
an obligation to comply with salary cap rules.

"The club has participated in numerous discussions about the
importance of those rules at CEOs meetings and has never indicated
that in their view the rules were unreasonable.

"Indeed the club was fined for a salary cap breach in the year 2000
and accepted the fine.

"Any restraint is not on individuals but on the clubs."

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.