Information Security News mailing list archives

Infosec means NOTHING to Joe SixPack

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 04:36:50 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Rob Rosenberger <junkmail () barnowl com>

I uploaded the audio from my opening keynote last week at CERT conference
2002.  Two MP3 files, 55:25 total time:

http://Vmyths.com/mm/rants/2002/certconf.asx
   Part 1: "You mean NOTHING to Joe SixPack"
   Part 2: "Security experts need to lighten up"
           followed by a Q&A session

I've wanted to do a keynote like this for a looooong time.  I've
wanted to put computer security experts in their place by telling them
just how little they mean to Joe SixPack.  You'll notice I start out
with comedy & laughter ... but the giggles slowly dissolve as I
venture toward Joe SixPack's preoccupation with physical terrorism
after 9/11.

An important quote near the end of part 1:

"This is a picture of a woman [who jumped from a WTC tower]...
SPLAT!  Nine seconds to die.  Not once did she think about you.  Not
once did she think about 'wow, what's happening to all my computers on
the 78th floor as I plummet to my death?' Not once did she care.  Not
once did the people who were watching this care about you.  That's
what's really sad here.  And what you want to do as a society ... is
you want to take billions of dollars away from people who watched the
towers collapse.  Who ran from a 25mph 20-story-tall billowing wall of
smoke.  You want to take billions of dollars away from them and you
want to put it into a cyber-terrorism pot.  And you want to take money
out of that, and you want to protect them from electrons..."

In part 1, I bashed a speaker in the audience who "verbally confirmed"
the mafia now does hits over the Internet.  I also talked about how Al
Qaeda might exploit the computer security industry (at least twice!)
as idiotic pawns in future physical terrorism events.  "Fool me once,
shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me..."  In part 3, I described
the co-dependent relationship between CERT & NIPC, plus I laid heavily
into CERT director Richard Pethia.  (Listen for my "hey Richard, as
one woman to another..." quip.)

Everyone who frets about computer security should listen to this
audio. Enough said.

Rob Rosenberger, Vmyths editor
Truth about computer virus hysteria

Vmyths newsletter signup:
http://Vmyths.com/news.cfm

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.