Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: MS vs. open source: Security's the same

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 01:56:40 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: JK Lists <wjcclists () jamesnetworks com>

<anotherRant>

Even as a certified MCP & MCSE Windows 2000, I could not agree more!
I have influenced many a customer to use MS products over the last 12
years, invested substantial time and $$$ in MS Certification, and I
can't even get them to return my phone calls for support!  What a
business model!  MS is going to bring themselves down.

It is true that they are doing a whole lot more PR and legal wrangling
to decrease their liability, while not really changing anything, other
than piling the complete BS higher and deeper!  Meanwhile, the open
source community is working earnestly to EARN respect and their
customer base, and has for years.  Lots of former "MS Men", like
myself are exploring our options and placing Linux, and other
alternative OS's servers where NT/2000 used to be our #1 choice.  I
can ask a difficult technical question on any of the many Linux lists
and have an answer within minutes.  With MS, if you don't have your CC
ready, even if your product is "still supported for free" because it
is new, you better not hold your breath for an answer from MS tech
support.

</anotherRant>

W James

Now which group is more security driven and which is more trying to
cover their ass.  You decide.

</Rant>

Joe Klein