Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Sudan Bank Hacked, Bin Laden Info Found - Hacker

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 05:23:22 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Tim Slighter <timslighter () home com>

I read that story and I would like to have the glorious opportunity of
confronting the "so-called" hackers to find specifics on how exactly
they managed to bypass perimeter defense.  First off, what Financial
Institution would be stupid enough to place DNS on the same server as
the Firewall ? (especially if there was 50 Million of that guy's cash
there), Secondly, even if they had done something so stupid as placing
DNS on the Firewall, the only bypass vulnerability that Checkpoint
Firewall-1 has been known to have is the PASV FTP where a one way
connection could be exploited given very specific conditions.
Assuming that they had gained access, then the initial claim that they
had "hacked" the DNS server would indicate that access was gained via
port 53 or a known exploit via DNS, this however, would not provide
them with any known exploits by which to bypass the Firewall.  The
more I research this and the more I think about it, that story has
more holes in it than Swiss Cheese.  What a HOAX !!