Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: A TV Plea to Patriot Hackers

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:26:25 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: B.K. DeLong <bkdelong () pobox com>

At 04:16 AM 09/27/2001 -0500, you wrote:
http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,47099,00.html

By Brian McWilliams
2:00 a.m. Sep. 26, 2001 PDT

A new TV public service announcement targets U.S. computer
hacktivists with a blunt message: Uncle Sam wants you to help
fight the war on terrorism.

This is an INCREDIBLY stupid move. Based on experience, we all know
that these kids thrive on attention first, not some sort of misguided
sense of patriotism. Putting out a spot like this to widely reach
those script kiddies who might be doing said defacements will only
serve to hit their need for attention. I can see it now:

"Hey - we got our own TV commercial! Let's go out and do some mad
defacements to see if they'll mention us more!"

This, of course, was further proved during the "Wag the Delio"
incident when Michelle Delio from Wired News proceeded to interview a
no-name Chinese script kiddie who said all the hackers in the whole
country of China were against the US resulting in prolonging what
could have been a several day defacement incident rather then a
multiple week spree.

--
B.K. DeLong
bkdelong () pobox com

http://www.brain-stream.com               Play.
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org        Potter.
http://www.attrition.org                       Security.
http://www.artemisiabotanicals.com     Herb.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.