Information Security News mailing list archives

Security patches: The solution or the problem?

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 04:17:33 -0500 (CDT)

UNIX SECURITY --- August 30, 2001
Published by ITworld.com -- changing the way you view IT
http://www.itworld.com/newsletters

HIGHLIGHTS

* Code Red once again showcased the dangers of failing to apply
  security patches. Or did it? Carole digs a little deeper to uncover
  the real problem that was being exploited.

SERVICES

* Webcast: Create robust, efficient e-business applications on the fly

SPONSORED LINK

LEVERAGE YOUR LDAP DIRECTORY FOR WEB ACCESS CONTROL

Need to protect your portal from access violation? Users tired of
multiple password log-ons to your portal? Fed up with cookies and system
agents? Learn how to deploy Web access control, while leveraging your
current applications. FREE white paper and personalized online demo at:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3245551;5953479;s

Worm Droppings
By Carole Fennelly

"While the angels, all pallid and wan,
Uprising, unveiling, affirm
That the play is the tragedy, 'Man,'
And its hero the Conqueror Worm."
-- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Conqueror Worm," Graham's Magazine,
   January 1843.

Every time I go on vacation, I come back to a mailbox full of dire
warnings about an exploit that will "bring the Internet to its knees."
Like tired remakes of a classic movie, the Code Red Worm events were
boringly predictable. Without even opening my mail, I knew the script
that would be followed by the usual suspects: Vendors, the Media, and
various Security Pundits.

The Media played the part of "Chicken Little Crying Wolf" perfectly,
hyping the threat in order to sell more advertisements. The frantic
search for updated information and patch downloads (necessary or not)
probably contributed to slowing down Net traffic more than the Worm.

Next, of course, were the Security Vendors issuing press releases and
updating their sales presentations to assure prospective clients that
their product or service would have provided protection. "Don't wait
for the next Code Red!" many warned. I sat through one presentation
where the vendor intimated that they had "inside information" before
the CERT announcement. My pointing out that everyone had "inside
information" since the company that discovered the vulnerability, eEye
Digital Security, made this same information publicly available wasn't
too popular.

Security Pundits seized the opportunity to jump on their ever-ready
soap boxes and point fingers at their favourite targets. Ironically,
eEye Digital Security was a popular target for making the vulnerability
public knowledge. The Full Disclosure can of worms flared into debate
on many security lists with proponents arguing that Full Disclosure is
the only way to compel vendor action and opponents countering that Full
Disclosure provides too much information to would-be attackers. The
upshot of all this bickering was that no one changed position. What a
surprise. Incidentally, many legitimate firms contacted eEye looking
for a copy of the exploit so they could test their systems. Somehow,
they lacked faith in the patch process. I suppose this makes them Full
Disclosure advocates.

Well, we can finally get back to business as usual now that the Code
Red fiasco appears to be ebbing. Battle-scarred but wiser, we have seen
the importance of applying security patches as soon as they are
available. Damn lazy administrators should keep up with this stuff.

When are we going to wake up and realise that patching systems is a
*lousy* security mechanism? Sure, software bugs happen and must be
fixed, but we have turned a last-ditch mechanism into a standard
security practice.

Patching a production system is risky and requires regression testing.
One company, St. Bernard software, (taking advantage of the Code Red
hype) offers an automatic patching mechanism. Sounds great, but
patching systems isn't always so straightforward. The interdependencies
of many modules can cause a patch for one application to break
something else and, quite often, the patch cannot be backed out. Anyone
remember trying to back out of a Windows 95 upgrade?

Unless a particular bug had a serious impact on production, patching
systems used to be a scheduled event. We've come to rely on patching as
an emergency security response. That's like rushing into brain surgery
to cure a headache -- sure, it could be a tumor but let's do some tests
first.

When are we going to stop reacting to symptoms and start looking at the
root cause of security problems? Put simply, software is not properly
tested before being released. The solution, of course, is not so
simple. How can software vendors be compelled to employ better quality
control methods? Manufacturers of consumer products, such as cars, are
held accountable for their products' performance and safety. Can you
imagine going to your car dealer for a patch kit that repairs a faulty
fuel regulator affecting several models? Of course, as the owner of the
vehicle, you should know how to repair it. Automobile consumers would
never tolerate such an attitude and neither should consumers of
software products who are forced to accept one-sided license agreements
because they have no choice.

Yes, there will always be bugs that need to be patched, but they
shouldn't be the *same* bugs over and over and over again. We would not
tolerate a builder using materials that are known to be sub-standard
and there are requirements that new materials be proven to meet basic
safety requirements. No such requirements exist for software.

But, we will wait for the next "Code Red" or "Melissa" or "Pope Fathers
Child!" event and re-use the same old tired plot with just a few
changes in the script. When will we stop settling for tired re-makes?

AUTHOR'S END NOTE:

Unfortunately, I have to announce that I am taking a sabbatical from
the ITworld.com newsletter for the next couple of months. I will be
working on a book project and I also need to devote some time to
migrating my archives onto my site (http://www.wkeys.com). If anyone
would updates on my future work or just want to say "hi", I'd love to
hear from you. Email me at cf () wkeys com.

SPONSORED LINK

METAgroup.com -- CLICK DAILY WITH THE TOP MINDS IN IT

Visit METAgroup.com for free access to daily IT and E-business news
analysis, analyst insights, research reports and much more.
http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a41090a75976238a0

About the author(s)
-------------------
Carole Fennelly is a partner in Wizard's Keys Corp., a company
specializing in computer security consulting. She has been a Unix
system administrator for almost 20 years on various platforms, and
provides security consultation to several financial institutions in the
New York City area. Visit her site at http://www.wkeys.com.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

St. Bernard Software's UpdateEXPERT
http://www.stbernard.com/products/updateexpert/products_updateexpert.asp

I could have saved myself the effort and recycled an article I wrote
last year about another security scare. Things haven't changed much:
http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/06/27/security.frenzy.idg/

A certain poetic justice here. "iDefense Files for Bankruptcy":
http://www.washtech.com/news/netarch/12107-1.html

Attorney General asks Qwest to credit users for virus outages:
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/037615.htm

FTC proposes new laws "Thou Shalt Patch"

LCLint Home Page
http://lclint.cs.virginia.edu/

New Visual C++.NET Option Tightens Buffer Security (lots of good
resources here for secure programming practices):
http://security.devx.com/bestdefense/2001/mh0301/mh0301-1.asp

Good article by Richard Forno "Code Red is Not the Problem"
http://www.infowarrior.org/articles/2001-07.html
today.
http://www.itworld.com/jwc/nla/overview
- When finished, click submit

Questions? Please e-mail customer service at: mailto:support () itworld com

CONTACTS

* Editorial: Andrew Santosusso, Associate Editor, Newsletters,
  andrew_santosusso () itworld com
* Advertising: Clare O'Brien, Vice President of Sales,
  clare_obrien () itworld com
* Recruitment advertising: Jamie Swartz, Eastern, Regional Sales
  Manager, jamie_swartz () itworld com or Paul Duthie, Western Regional
  Sales Manager, paul_duthie () itworld com
* Other inquiries: Jodie Naze, Senior Product Marketing Manager,
  jodie_naze () itworld com

PRIVACY POLICY

http://www.itworld.com/Privacy/

Copyright 2001 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved.
http://www.itworld.com

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.