Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: WWW.huh?: You Are the First Line of Defense

From: Jonathan Rickman <jonathan () xcorps net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:45:22 -0400 (EDT)

Forwarded by: An anonymous DoD person...

Hi,

The fact that Government computers can track everything you do is
*absolutely* no joke. I work for the United States Navy, and a friend
of mine was sending email to an old flame using excite web-based
email. Well, about twenty minutes later, his fiance comes in and
throws the same email he wrote in his face.

It was a big reminder to me that Uncle Sam watches and monitors
*everything* - remotely too - even web based email services, etc.
Another case that was similar - a supervisor was repremanded for
sending encrypted email out of Navy computers. Guess he pissed off the
IT's (whom they affectionatly call themselves the 'Gate Keepers').

Anyway, just some food for thought.

- Anonymous

A contact in the Deparment of the Navy tells me that all mainstream
webmail URLs have been blocked for over a year now. I know for a fact that
outbound traffic headed for port 110 is blocked. My question is
simple...isn't is more likely that this is a human networking issue rather
than a computer networking issue. Perhaps the old flame wasn't very
receptive to the email and forwarded it to the fiancee. Hmm...either that or
somebody's full of...

Food for thought.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email isn-unsubscribe () SecurityFocus com.