Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Tech firms form alliance against hackers

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 02:00:15 -0600

Fowarded by: Felix von Leitner <leitner () vim org>

Thus spake InfoSec News (isn () C4I ORG):

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2674531,00.html

By Ted Bridis, WSJ Interactive Edition
January 16, 2001 4:57 AM PT

WASHINGTON -- Some of the biggest names in technology, including
bitter rivals Microsoft Corp. and Oracle Corp., are forming a
private alliance to share sensitive information about
cyber-attacks and vulnerabilities in their software and hardware
products, which are used by much of the world's businesses and
governments.

Ah, so this is actually against privacy and not pro security...

Good to see that Microsoft and Oracle got it right again. Instead of
writing secure software in the first place, they decide to spend money
to share sensitive data.

If this wasn't a bunch of commercial entities, I would say "you tax
money at work".

"We have to put down our differences and our competitiveness and
share more if we're going to prosper together," Copeland said. "If
you're going to wall yourself off and not share, then you're going
to be hurting. This will be a venue and a forum where we can start
to build a level of trust."

Let's see.

Some random script kiddie causes twelve trillion dollars of damage
against Microsoft by doing a port scan on their web server.
Microsoft shares this valuable information with Oracle.

I don't see how this generates trust.

Except maybe that my company, to be allowed to share my port scan data
with Microsoft, has to pay $5000 annual fee, so there is some sort of
trust relation ship here...?

But that's probably just me.

Felix

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".