Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - January 1st 2001

From: newsletter-admins () linuxsecurity com
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 12:18:20 -0500

|  LinuxSecurity.com                         Weekly Newsletter        |
|  January 1, 2001                           Volume 2, Number 1n      |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security
newsletter. The purpose of this document is to provide our readers
with a quick summary of each week's most relevant Linux security
headlines.

This week, a few papers were released.  Among them were, "LinuxPPC
Security Primer, Part I," "The 101 Uses of OpenSSH: Part I," and
"High Availability systems under Linux."  Each article provides
information that can help you maintain a more secure network.

This week, advisories were released for gnupg, stunnel, dialog, and
fetchmail.  The vendors include Debian and TurboLinux. I'm sure many
of you are happy that it is a light week and nothing major has
surfaced.  It looks as though many of the vendors took the holiday
off.  I can't say that I blame them.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-2200.html

FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte
Are you planning your Web Server Security? Click here to get a
FREE Thawte Apache SSL guide and find the answers to all your
Apache SSL security issues:
<http://www.thawte.com/ucgi/gothawte.cgi?a=n074917540018000>

HTML Version available:
<http://www.linuxsecurity.com/newsletter.html>

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-----------------+
+---------------------+

* LinuxPPC Security Primer, Part I
December 29th, 2000

Jeff Vagle writes: "So you've bought that new G4 you've been eyeing
for lo these many months. Or perhaps you've blown the dust off of
some aging Performa you've kept in your basement. Either way, you've
decided to install Linux on your PowerPC box, but you're worried
about some '31337 haxOr d00dz' gaining control of your machine
through some security hole.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-2203.html

* The 101 Uses of OpenSSH: Part I
December 29th, 2000

One of the coolest things about UNIX has been that there is not one
but several different ways to administer systems from remote
consoles. Sad to say, most of these methods (Telnet, rsh and X, to
name a few) send everything over the network in clear text, including
passwords.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2202.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* The Process of Network Security
December 31st, 2000

This book is written for network managers and administrators. Readers
should also be familiar with computing and network processes and
terminology. Divided into 16 chapters, this book has a good flow
about it. The focus is on helping the reader to understand just what
security is, what to do when a system is compromised, and how to
protect these systems in the future.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-2207.html

* How does your Net security rate?
December 28th, 2000

Are your servers as secure as Fort Knox or as open  as a revolving
door? The newly formed Center for Internet Security hopes to
answer that question by creating a suite of tests that would  give
computer owners a rating--on a scale of 1 to 10--of  how good their
security is.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-2198.html

* Security a low priority in Y2K
December 26th, 2000

While firewall vendors espouse the virtues or their security
solutions,  others believe that even the most technologically
advanced firewall  can't offer companies all of the protection they
need to ensure that  data is safe from both external and internal
threats.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-2190.html

+-------------------------+
| Vendors/Tools/Products: |
+-------------------------+

* Demand for Net-based security products increases
December 28th, 2000

Demand for Internet-based security products is exploding, as sales
reached $243 million last quarter and are expected to more than
double next year, a new study shows.   With Check Point Software
Technologies and Cisco Systems leading the way, sales of virtual
private networking (VPN) hardware grew to $243 million during the
2000 third quarter, triple the revenue from the same period last year
and a growth of 32 percent from the previous quarter.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-2197.html

* New version of chkrootkit
December 25th, 2000

New version of chkrootkit (0.19) available... chkrootkit is a shell
script mainly developed by Nelson Murilo (Brazilian) that checks for
the existence of rootkits installed in your system.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-2189.html

+------------------------+
| General News:          |
+------------------------+

* High Availability systems under Linux
December 30th, 2000

When designing a mission critical systems, either during flowcharting
or when building it physically with boxes, cables etc, one has to ask
the following questions How important are the service that will run
on these machines to you? How many other services are dependent on
the service you are going to run on these machines?

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-2206.html

* Security a low priority in Y2K
December 27th, 2000

The apocalypse widely expected to bring the tech world to its knees
at the new millennium didn't occur. But security experts agree that
disaster still looms.  The Year 2000 bug was squashed by a massive
international effort that monopolized most of 1999.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-2194.html

* Aleph1 Profile
December 26th, 2000

Gon?alo Gomes writes, "Aleph1 is world wide known by security/hacking
comunity since he wrote his excelent article to phrack ("smashing the
stack for fun and profit")."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-2192.html