Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: From convicted hacker to dotcom backer

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:44:39 -0600

Forwarded by: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=003100565149417&rtmo=VDwSs3gK&atmo=hhhhhhhe&pg=/et/01/1/28/ccprof28.html

Sunday 28 January 2001

Kim Schmitz has broken into computers at the Pentagon and Nasa and
raided Citibank's coffers. Now he is rescuing LetsBuyIt.com,
writes Amanda Hall.

Schmitz is famous in cyberland as Kimble, the world renowned
superhacker who, from a flat in Munich, routed his way into
hundreds of top secret files at the Pentagon, at Nasa, the CIA and
the FBI.

He got into scores of companies and institutions; he read high
security information on Saddam Hussein during the Gulf War; he
read the news before it was broadcast; he even got into Citibank's
system and transferred $20m by taking tiny amounts from the
accounts of 4m customers and giving it to Greenpeace.

CIA.. FBI.. Gulf War.. news.. 20million from Citibank..

I don't recall the name 'Schmitz' being involved on the Citibank hack.
I remember a 'Vladimir Levin', and the amounts ranging from 10 - 12
million.

I remember the 'Phonemasters' being part of a short list to compromise
several FBI machines (and NCIC).

Does all of this strike anyone else as odd?

"This was freaking," he says. "Before hacking there was freaking,
a way of going into a phone system, messing it up and phoning for
free.

err, phreaking.

That was how I got into the business of getting through barriers
and finding ways to bypass security, get onto servers and doing
all sorts of crazy things. That was how the hacking started."
Every time Schmitz hacked into a computer, he would leave behind
his hacker identity - the name Kimble and a skull on either side.

This sounds just like se7en and him supposedly leaving his name with
the cobra logo...

"People knew when they turned their computer on and this popped up
that it was me," he says. "Every hack was a trophy. I had a big

This sounds EXACTLY like se7en, almost word for word. se7en was later
discoverd to be a fraud who had little or no hacking past.

The software he used to sabotage Citibank and transfer the $20m to
Greenpeace took him just a week to write.

Anyone have a link or reference for this?

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".