Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Cyber terrorism is 'fantasy'

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 01:45:54 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Aj Effin Reznor <aj () reznor com>

"InfoSec News was known to say....."

   --> "commercial aircraft as bomb" is VERY feasible but NOT likely;
   --> "computer virus as bomb" is NOT feasible but VERY likely.

This is debatable.  However before I (and hopefully the rest of the
more vocal subscribers) jump in.....

Knowles & others (e.g. Michael Vatis, Richard Clarke) could
validate their cyber-terrorism arguments with just one -- I
repeat, ONE -- technologically feasible idea for destroying
America with a computer virus.

We need a clear cut definition of "destroy America".  Without that
well-defined objective, this becomes an arguement that spirals onward
without termination as people produce wild, vivid and sometimes even
feasible scenarios, and the whole while the issuer of said challenger
keeps backing up and applying more and more outlandish criteria to
keep the "you can't fill the bill" statement, well, unfilled.

So, what's it mean, your statement?  What destroys Amerika?  A "virus"
(or maybe more applicably, a worm) that downs the Internet?  Only the
core routers? A majority (50% +1) ?  Hoses primary DNS servers?

Something not internet related?  Hoses the economy?  Causes a vast
majority of the populace to lose faith (I mean, moreso than the
standard levels of complaining and disenfranchisement) ?

Tell us what "destroys America" exactly, so we can try to tell you how
it's done :)

Rob Rosenberger, Vmyths editor
Truth about computer virus hysteria
http://Vmyths.com

Nice to meet ya, Rob.  FWIW (and I'm not expecting much) I personally
found site navigation easier on the old kumite site (not to attack or
critique you in this forum.  Apologies if it sounds as such, not my
intention).

-aj.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.