Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: WindowsXP will include a firewall of sorts

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 07:55:06 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>

[This got lost in my inbox from all the parties subscribed with dead
accounts, & over quota mailboxes. There might be a few more postings
hiding around here.  -WK]

Forwarded by: Patrice Boivin <lori.pat () ns sympatico ca>

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,46144,00.html

Associated Press
12:20 p.m. Aug. 17, 2001 PDT

WASHINGTON -- A promotional website for Microsoft's
soon-to-be-released Windows XP operating system said it would
offer the same protection from viruses and hackers that major
corporations use.

Not so, said a Microsoft executive who had the reference removed
from the website after the Associated Press questioned it.

"I'm sure that was an unintentional overexuberance there," said
Mark Croft, manager for the new Windows product due in stores in
October.

haha, nice wording here Mark.

Why does this sound like pre-emptive backpedaling/spindoctoring? If
Microsoft integrates a 'commercial grade firewall' into their
operating system, how will that be any different than integrating a
web browser into it? That would smack of the same antitrust case of
Win/MSIE that is still going on in our court system.

Whether they add it or not, they certainly can't advertise that as a
feature without causing more legal headaches for themselves.

Croft said Microsoft's plan to add firewall software, designed to
protect Internet surfers from hackers, "is a good step from having
nothing" but it is not the full-fledged protection found in
firewall products sold separately.

"We are adding a firewall, but not as good as others, so they will
remain our competition..."  yep yep.

Microsoft's plan to include numerous new features in Windows XP
such as the firewall, which complete with stand-alone products
made by others, has angered its competitors and raised questions
among state regulators.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of this.

On the website, Microsoft said the new firewall feature "makes
your information, computers, and family data safer from intruders
as soon as you start using Windows XP."

And with Microsoft's track record for security..

"For years, business networks have been able to protect themselves
from outside attacks by using firewalls," it added. "Windows XP
offers that same security to consumers with Internet Connection
Firewall protection."

Much like Microsoft has protected their network using firewalls?

http://www.attrition.org/security/commentary/microsoft-list.html

But Le Tocq said Microsoft's strategy of including a firewall may
pay huge dividends down the road because it could give the
software giant a huge consumer advantage over rivals that make
their own firewall products.

"Frankly, I think that the personal firewall guys ... they're
going to be roadkill," he said.

yep yep

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.