Information Security News mailing list archives

Hackers break into US money transferring company's website

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:21:12 -0500

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_57243.html

Last updated: 08:32 Sunday 10th September 2000

Western Union has warned thousands of online customers that hackers
have broken into the US money transferring company's website.

It is unclear whether the hackers obtained any personal account
information from the Colorado-based company. No fraudulent
transactions had been reported by late Saturday, spokesman Peter
Ziverts said.

Only website users who conducted online transactions would have been
affected. The problem was discovered during a routine security check
on Friday, he said.

Company officials are using e-mail, letters and phone messages to
alert between 10,000 and 20,000 consumers to cancel their credit or
debit cards and get new ones, Mr Ziverts said.

"It's a precaution. It's something we take seriously. We're taking no
chances," he added.

The company's website is displaying a message saying it is out of
service. It is not expected to be running for several days, Mr Ziverts
said.

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".