Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: New blow to Fiserv internet banking security

From: chris.cook () US PWCGLOBAL COM
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:04:58 -0400

http://www.guardian.co.uk/internetnews/story/0,7369,372676,00.html

Sept. 26, 2000

 60 5/8

BW2574  SEP 25,2000       7:30 PACIFIC      10:30 EASTERN

 Fiserv Announces British Newspaper Claims on
Internet Banking Security Breaches were Incorrect and Misleading

    Business Editors

    BROOKFIELD, Wis.--Sept. 25, 2000--Fiserv, Inc.
(Nasdaq: FISV) announced today that a story in Sunday's Observer and
Guardian newspapers in London alleging Internet banking security
breaches involving Fiserv clients was incorrect and misleading.
    A British Internet banking customer quoted in the stories accessed
only demonstration accounts at sites maintained for clients of a
Fiserv servicing unit. The demonstration accounts contain only
fictitious data used for training and sales purposes.
    "We maintain the strictest security on all of our systems -
whether for Internet banking or core account processing," said Leslie
M. Muma, Fiserv President and Chief Executive Officer. "At no time
were any of our systems in danger of being compromised."
    Fiserv, Inc. (Nasdaq: FISV) is an independent, full-service
provider of integrated data processing and information management
systems to the financial industry. As a leading technology resource,
Fiserv serves more than 10,000 financial service providers worldwide,
including banks, broker-dealers, credit unions, financial
planners/investment advisers, insurance companies, mortgage banks and
savings institutions. Headquartered in Brookfield, Wisconsin, Fiserv
also can be found on the Internet at www.fiserv.com.

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".