Information Security News mailing list archives

MS Right

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:16:15 -0500

MS Right
by Carole Fennelly

Microsoft is the company everyone loves to hate -- myself definitely
included. I admit my prejudice: I grew up on Unix. Got my first
account in 1980 and struggled through the cryptic command line syntax.
Graphical User Interface? Hell, there wasn't even a visual editor.
Writing a document was an excercise in troff programming skills.

I didn't really get exposed to Windows until 1993 ... and I hated it.
I found it to be buggy, unreliable and horribly insecure. Microsoft
seems to be motivated purely by profit, not technical innovation. Like
every other Unix bigot, I enjoy a good joke at Microsoft's expense
(http://www.attrition.org/gallery/ms/)

While I religiously hate Microsoft, after all the bashing I've given
them it's only fair to acknowlege when they do something right. It
seems Microsoft is finally responding to vulnerability reports with
technical solutions, rather than just media spin.  Rain Forest Puppy
recently reported a major vulnerability in the IIS Web server. This
vulnerability had been discussed in the Packetstorm forum, but no one
could reproduce the exploit. RFP could.

RFP's IIS %c1%1c bug report
http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/p/doc.asp?id=57&iface=2

PacketStorm posting
http://209.143.242.119/cgi-bin/cbmc/forums.cgi?
editoron=&authkey=anonymous&nscanon=&outgoing=&uname=anonymous&datopic=Windows&gum=474&mesgcheck=defined

Microsoft worked with RFP to analyse the problem and determine the
appropriate solution. It turns out that a previous Microsoft patch
fixed the vulnerability, which was a lucky break for Microsoft. Credit
Microsoft for handling the situation for a change, rather than
minimizing the impact.

Microsoft Bulletin:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS00-078.asp

Bugtraq entry:
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1806

Microsoft could have covered themselves with the previously released
patch that happened to fix the vulnerability. Instead, they stated in
the above bulletin:

    "This patch was originally released in August 2000 as a fix for a
    completely different vulnerability (discussed in Microsoft Security
    Bulletin MS00-057), and customers who have already applied it do
    not need to take any additional action."

I asked Rain Forest Puppy about this apparent change in attitude on
Microsoft's part. He commented:

    "MS has been in the process of cleaning up their act.  I think MS00-
    078 was a perfect example of them taking it seriously.  However,
    they lucked out since a previous patch (MS00-057) fixed this
    problem, so that drasticly cut down the time needed. However, the
    fact that I had a 2 hour response at 2am, and they were contacting
    IIS developers at 3am Sat morning was impressive."

I have no illusions that Microsoft was motivated to "do the right
thing" for altruistic reasons. Microsoft is well aware that RFP would
follow through on his promise to publicly disclose vulnerabilities, as
stated in his disclosure policy.

RFPolicy v2.0
http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/policy.html

Microsoft is also painfully aware of the consequences of public
disclosure of exploits as thousands of Script Kidiots attack
vulnerable systems. It is in Microsoft's best interests to get their
customers to patch the vulnerabilities before their systems become yet
another damning security statistic.

When will Microsoft realise that it would be in their best interests
to design their systems securely in the first place?

RESOURCES

Info.Sec.Radio panel discussion on Full Disclosure:
http://www.itworld.com/jump/unxsec_nl/www.securityfocus.com/media/69

MSNBC: Microsoft Flaw Exposes Web Servers
http://www.itworld.com/jump/unxsec_nl/www.msnbc.com/news/477722.asp

More than privacy at stake
http://www.itworld.com/jitw/unxsec_nl/cma/ett_article_frame/0,,1_3086.html

Meet the 'hactivist'
http://www.itworld.com/jitw/unxsec_nl/cma/ett_article_frame/0,,1_3113.html

Hacking rises despite increased security spending
http://www.itworld.com/jitw/unxsec_nl/cma/ett_article_frame/0,,1_2902.html

COMMUNITY DISCUSSION

Delve into the gory technical details of Web security, debate
community politics, and share your expertise in this discussion for
security pros of all stripes. Moderated by Carole Fennelly and Brian Martin.
http://www.itworld.com/jump/unxsec_nl/forums.itworld.com/webx?14@@.ee6b67b/71!skip=16

About the author
Carole Fennelly is a partner in Wizard's Keys Corporation, a company
specializing in computer security consulting. She has been a Unix
system administrator for almost 20 years on various platforms, and
provides security consultation to several financial institutions in the
New York City area. She is also a regular columnist for SunWorld
(http://www.sunworld.com). Visit her site (http://www.wkeys.com/) or
reach her at carole.fennelly () sunworld com