Information Security News mailing list archives

Computer 'love bug' bites Bush campaign headquarters

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 16:28:19 -0500

http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500200757-500276982-501470608-0,00.html

WASHINGTON (May 5, 2000 7:52 p.m. EDT http://www.nandotimes.com) - The
computer "love bug" took a big bite out of the e-mail system at George
W. Bush's campaign headquarters - and also made a pass at Al Gore's.

The system in Bush's Austin, Texas, headquarters was shut down after
computers became infected late Thursday. That meant no sending out
scheduling information or news releases from the Republican
presidential contender.

"There was too much love going on around our headquarters," quipped
campaign spokesman Ari Fleischer. The solution: figuratively turning
the clock backward.

"Right now it's back to 1990," Fleischer said Friday. "We're faxing
and phoning."

Gore's Tennessee headquarters was luckier in dealing with the computer
virus. Spokesman Doug Hattaway said, "Somebody on our staff opened up
a message, but it turns out the kind of server we have was not
affected."