Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft to Blame for 'Love Bug'? (fwd)

From: "Curt Bryson (NTI)" <cbryson () TELEPORT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 09:28:22 -0700

Users who "run" executables (be it scripts or EXE files) sent to them
via unencrypted and unsigned email deserve to be shut down.

I will concede this point, with one caveat:  How much money do we put into
training users before slapping them in a chair in front of a Windows machine
and saying "go to work".  How many system administrators turn off "view as a
web page" and the Outlook "preview pane"?  How many then warn users to NEVER
turn these features on again.  How many have the backing of management that
is required to make such a policy?  How many sysadmins turn on file
extensions so that users ACTUALLY SEE what it is they're clicking on?  And,
no I am not bashing sysadmins alone... they wouldn't have to go through
these gyrations if M$oft would DISABLE STUPID FEATURES OUT OF THE BOX.  ALL
features are stupid... all of em... have them OFF by default and let the
user/administrator turn them on once appropriate risk management/mitigation
choices are made.  With VERY few exceptions, this concept seems to work ok
for keeping BSD relatively secure.  Does anyone else spend several hours per
machine tweaking registry entries, etc., disabling stupidity EVERY TIME you
install windows on a machine?  Even NT systems have features on that should
be off for an allegedly "network-centric" machine.  Until someone else's
marketing team goes to work full-time, MS is the standard we have to deal
with, but COME ON... a little common sense and customer responsiveness would
be nice.  Qucik observation:  Bill Gates is not as out of the loop as many
thought.  The anti-MS rumblings in the geek klatches started rising again as
soon as the ILOVEYOU worm got rolling.  Before too many publications picked
up on said insrurrection, however, he was making press releases softening
the blow to his products (read:  blaming everything else).  Gotta give him
credit, he got HIS side of the story out first... THAT's playing the "media
game" well.
--Curt
"Hi, my name is Curt, and I'm a <gulp> 'triple-booter'."

ISN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".