Information Security News mailing list archives

"the best Internet security in the world"

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 16:19:16 -0500

From 2000-05-26 NTK *the* weekly high-tech sarcastic update for the UK
http://www.ntk.net

Finally, it's occasionally nice to hear from companies that
take their security seriously. When NTK subscriber GEORGE
WRIGHT heard from MONEYGATOR.COM that they had "the best
Internet security in the world", he had every right to
expect amazing things of them. Unfortunately, he'd already
had his share of amazements - he'd just been telephoned out
of the blue by a stranger, who told him "I've read your
phone number on Moneygator.com. And your account numbers,
bank, and mother's maiden name." Turns out that the
registration form at Moneygator tended to preserve the data
entered for a little longer than planned: long enough for
the next user to read it. It's fixed now, says the CEO,
(well, George reports him saying "we're pretty sure
it's fixed"), and has reassured Mr Wright by telling him
"when breaches like this happen, it makes the Internet safer".
Absolutely: and when we stop hitting ourselves with this
cricket bat, we're more comfortable too.
http://www.moneygator.com/

- the scary thing is, we're probably giving them more
publicity