Information Security News mailing list archives

Feedback, Adopt-A-Soldier and Stuph...

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:30:25 -0600

So far this day has the makings of a slow news day, Which may or may
not be a good thing, You can take a breather that there isn't any real
pressing matters popping up from here to show the boss that s/he
should be really worried about.

I thought I would share a note with you all that gave a me a chuckle
in yesterdays mail, Everytime someone signs off the list, I send out a
little debrief mailing asking why you signed off the list.

I loved being a part of this mailing list, some of the stories
were VERY funny and important.  A source of MUCH amusement here on
the boat, but I had to leave the list, as I am getting out of the
Navy, so this email address will be invalid after a few more days.
I just didn't want any errors creeping up that you might have to
contend with, but I will be signing back up soon, from my home
address.  Thanks for a good list to be part of!!

I should add this is coming from on of the largest boats in the
U.S. Navy, The U.S.S. Enterprise. :)

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/cvn-65.htm

So this had me thinking with the holidays soon around the corner that
I will be looking into what to do for Christmas and what not, I have
played a mall Santa a couple times for the heck of it and learned the
true meaning of Christmas (And it wasn't the almighty dollar as the
retailers would have you belive) and I have always dropped a at
least a hundred for the U.S. Marines' Toys for Tots, but now I have
started looking around for other things to do at this time of year.

So while looking at what the C4I bot came up with for information
security news I did a little searching and came across this site.

http://www.adoptasoldier.org/

Adopt-A-Soldier is the "year round" effort to show support to our
Military Personnel both locally and overseas.

Adopting a member of the military is quite simple. Just send a letter
to one of the overseas/local addresses (listed below). (Contact us for
local addresses near you). There are addresses to reach members of all
four branches of the military. You may choose the branch of your
choice. In the letter, explain that you wish to correspond with them
and show your support as a US citizen. Let them know how thankful you
are for their sacrifices, etc. As you grow in your correspondence, you
may choose to send gifts. Some suggested items are as follows: music
cassette/cd (you will need to find out what they have available on
their end to play music), movie videos, decks of cards, Uno, board
games, candies, snack cakes (twinkies and the like), all kinds of
books and magazines, and most requested by the troops...letters.

While this is just for the U.S. Military, If there are programs like
this for other nations militaries, Please drop me a line and I will be
happy to post those too.

Have a wonderful day!

William Knowles
wk () c4i org

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC