Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Hacked FreeWebStuff Site Still Offline, May Not Return

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () ATTRITION ORG>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:09:49 -0600

http://www.newsbytes.com/pubNews/00/153944.html

By Michael Bartlett, Newsbytes
SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.,
21 Aug 2000, 1:10 PM CST

FreeWebStuff.Com, Inc., the "get-paid-to-surf" Internet company that
became so infiltrated by hackers it was forced to take its site down on
July 10, may be offline permanently.

So infiltrated by 'hackers'? Or so infiltrated by criminals using
computers? Is it really so difficult to make a distinction?

Use such sweeping statements about 'journalists' and most of them will get
all upset and cry like they have a skinned knee, yet they do it to
'hackers' on a daily basis.

FreeWebStuff.com also attempted to fight back by hiring three hackers as
security consultants, but ultimately, the company decided it could not
trust the hackers in the long run.

This is a nice vague statement. Three hackers as security consultants? And
then they couldn't trust them? Gee, not familiar with the basics of hiring
or something? Any company that reacts like this without thinking or
putting in mechanisms to protect their investments probably shouldn't be
doing business. I think we're all familiar with good hiring practices,
weeding out those who overstate their qualifications, etc.

"The good news is, we realized early on that there was an insurmountable
problem," Johnson said. "We did not want fake growth.  We were not going
to tell our investors that we had 65,000 subscribers when we knew the
number was not real. We have integrity."

The REAL good news is, less spam. I don't know about you, but I was
spammed on a near daily basis with "get paid to surf" crap.

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".