Interesting People mailing list archives

Revolt Against the Rich

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 07:23:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: February 19, 2019 at 7:23:00 AM EST
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>, John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Subject: Revolt Against the Rich

Dave, FYI my latest column. John Horgan

Revolt Against the Rich

Nobel laureates, a new congresswoman and others urge raising taxes on the ultra-wealthy to counter surging
inequality.

In 2015 I attended a workshop on political polarization with an eclectic group of scholars and activists. We swapped
ideas on resolving battles over climate change, inequality, abortion and gay rights. One obstacle to compromise, a
psychologist said, is that many Americans have a visceral, emotional reaction to issues like homosexuality.

I have a visceral, emotion reaction to inequality, I replied. It sickens me that some Americans have billions while
others barely have enough to eat. An economist derided my attitude as typical left-wing irrationality. Inequality
isn’t the problem, he said, poverty is the problem, and we shouldn’t try to solve it by taking more from the rich.

I felt chastened. But a flurry of recent articles—with headlines like “Abolish Billionaires” and “The Economics of
Soaking the Rich”—argues that we should be appalled by the immense gap between the poor and rich. The proliferation
of billionaires shows that capitalism is malfunctioning and in need of reforms, including higher taxes on the
ultra-wealthy...

Continue at https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/revolt-against-the-rich/
Revolt Against the Rich - Scientific American Blog Network