Interesting People mailing list archives

Review of new books by physicists Hawking and Martin Rees

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 07:33:46 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: October 21, 2018 23:19:26 JST
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Subject: Review of new books by physicists Hawking and Martin Rees

Dave, FYI my Wall Street Journal critique of books by physics titans Stephen Hawking and Martin Rees. John Horgan

We’re still waiting to solve the riddle of existence—with no sign today’s physicists are on the right track.

A high point of my career as a science journalist was a cosmology workshop I bulled my way into in 1990. Thirty
luminaries of physics gathered in a rustic resort in northern Sweden to swap ideas about how our universe was born.
Stephen Hawking, although almost entirely paralyzed, was the id of the meeting, a joker with a Mick Jagger smirk.
Martin Rees, cool and elegant, was the superego, as befitting a future president of the Royal Society, one of
science’s most venerable institutions…

One afternoon everyone piled into a bus and drove to a local church to hear a concert. As the scientists proceeded
down the center aisle of the packed church, led by Hawking in his wheelchair, parishioners stood and applauded. These
churchgoers seemed to be acknowledging that science was displacing religion as the source of answers to the deepest
mysteries, like why we exist.

That scene came to mind as I read two new books, “Brief Answers to the Big Questions,” by Hawking and “On the Future:
Prospects for Humanity” by Mr. Rees. The authors’ styles differ—Hawking cocky, Rees sober—but the substance of their
books overlaps. They offer brisk, lucid peeks into the future of science and of humanity. They evince a profound
faith in science’s power to demystify nature and bend it to our ends…. Yet reading these books was a bittersweet
experience, and not only because Hawking died last March, at 76... The works resemble relics from a long-gone golden
age: The high priests of science no longer enjoy the prestige they did just a few decades ago…

Continue at
https://www.wsj.com/articles/brief-answers-to-the-big-questions-and-on-the-future-review-serious-doubt-on-serious-earth-1539909146