Interesting People mailing list archives

CACM article on the non-code aspects of cybersecurity

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 04:32:46 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Swire <peter () peterswire net>
Date: October 20, 2018 at 10:00:13 PM GMT+9
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: CACM article on the non-code aspects of cybersecurity

Hello Dave:

Perhaps for IP.

This month the Communications of the ACM published my column “A Pedagogic Cybersecurity Framework: A Proposal for
Teaching the Organizational, Legal, and International Aspects of Cybersecurity.”

It starts:

“Real” cybersecurity devotes enormous effort to non-code vulnerabilities and responses. The Cybersecurity Workforce
Framework of the National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education lists 33 specialty areas for cybersecurity jobs. Ten
of the specialty areas primarily involve coding, but more than half primarily involve non-code work (15 areas, in my
estimate) or are mixed (eight areas, per my assessment).

This column proposes a Pedagogic Cybersecurity Framework (PCF) for categorizing and teaching the jumble of non-code
yet vital cybersecurity topics.

<snip>

The PCF includes a 3x3 matrix to categorize the types of non-code cybersecurity issues that have large impacts on the
overall ecosystem of cybersecurity. The PCF is designed to be useful to teachers, researchers, and practitioners of
cybersecurity who face non-code risks and mitigations.

Best,

Peter

CACM: https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2018/10/231364-a-pedagogic-cybersecurity-framework/fulltext

A nicer pdf version: http://peterswire.net/wp-content/uploads/Pedagogic-cybersecurity-framework.pdf

Prof. Peter Swire
Elizabeth & Tommy Holder Chair of Law and Ethics
Scheller College of Business
Georgia Institute of Technology

Associate Director for Policy
Institute for Information Security and Privacy
Georgia Institute of Technology

Ph: (240) 994-4142
Web: www.peterswire.net