Interesting People mailing list archives

Re USA Today: Google's version of robocalls has small businesses skeptical

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 14:36:41 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Ed Gerck, Ph.D." <egerck () gmail com>
Date: May 10, 2018 at 1:34:58 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] USA Today: Google's version of robocalls has small businesses skeptical

[Dave, for IP]

List,

Our friend Lauren is making a distinction we don't make for motorcycles,  for example.  A driver is a driver,
essentially. In the same way, a phone call can be "assisted" with a menu, and the operator follows a script  and that
is common today, but is not a robot? Using the name "robotcall" is forgetting what a robot really is, a helper, and
use a whistlecall.

Today, 100 years after Karl Marx, who saw the exploitation of humans in the beginnings of Industrial Revolution, and
could not imagine more than a zero-sum game, we need to be much more radical than him, more people want to  abolish
menial labor.
I once saw a worker on a press, and he had harnesses to protect him: when the press would go down, his arms were
pulled up. After a wwhile, I didn't know what commanded what: the machine or the man.
Some types of work are not humane, including driving in highways. I see the bar as very low, the intellect is capable
of much more, let machines do most of the work, let robots handle tasks such as a phone operator, Google and other
companies can already do it.
Abolish labor as a menial job, educate more, reduce office and factory real-state, eliminate parking lots at work,
traffic is less, family is more valued and now part of the equation, close Marx's vision of a divisive world,
progress!
Cheers, Ed Gerck
--
Work before, during, and after any crisis, and you will find peace.