Interesting People mailing list archives

Black activist jailed for his Facebook posts speaks out about secret FBI surveillance

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 11:56:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: May 11, 2018 at 11:47:55 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Black activist jailed for his Facebook posts speaks out about secret FBI surveillance

[Note:  This item comes from friend David Reed.  David’s comments:’Yes, it's Cointelpro again. Those of us who
experienced the 1960s and 1970s firsthand know where this leads. It's one of those times when we need to recognize
that police powers need to be policed. I may be a little more inclined to reduce gun ownership than the subject here,
but I view his right to own and responsibly use a licensed firearm as equal to us all. And that wasn't the point
here, anyway.’  DLH]

Black activist jailed for his Facebook posts speaks out about secret FBI surveillance
Rakem Balogun spoke out against police brutality. Now he is believed to be the first prosecuted under a secretive US
effort to track so-called ‘black identity extremists’
By Sam Levin
May 11 2018
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/11/rakem-balogun-interview-black-identity-extremists-fbi-surveillance>

Rakem Balogun thought he was dreaming when armed agents in tactical gear stormed his apartment. Startled awake by a
large crash and officers screaming commands, he soon realized his nightmare was real, and he and his 15-year-old son
were forced outside of their Dallas home, wearing only underwear.

Handcuffed and shaking in the cold wind, Balogun thought a misunderstanding must have led the FBI to his door on 12
December 2017. The father of three said he was shocked to later learn that agents investigating “domestic terrorism”
had been monitoring him for years and were arresting him that day in part because of his Facebook posts criticizing
police.

“It’s tyranny at its finest,” said Balogun, 34. “I have not been doing anything illegal for them to have surveillance
on me. I have not hurt anyone or threatened anyone.”

Balogun spoke to the Guardian this week in his first interview since he was released from prison after five months
locked up and denied bail while US attorneys tried and failed to prosecute him, accusing him of being a threat to law
enforcement and an illegal gun owner.

Balogun, who lost his home and more while incarcerated, is believed to be the firstperson targeted and prosecuted
under a secretive US surveillance effort to track so-called “black identity extremists”. In a leaked August 2017
report from the FBI’s Domestic Terrorism Analysis Unit, officials claimed that there had been a “resurgence in
ideologically motivated, violent criminal activity” stemming from African Americans’ “perceptions of police
brutality”.

The counter-terrorism assessment provided minimal data or evidence of threats against police, but discussed a few
isolated incidents, notably the case of Micah Johnson who killed five officers in Texas. The report sparked backlash
from civil rights groups and some Democrats, who feared the government would use the broad designation to prosecute
activists and groups like Black Lives Matter.

Balogun, who was working full-time for an IT company when he was arrested, has long been an activist, co-founding
Guerrilla Mainframe and the Huey P Newton Gun Club, two groups fighting police brutality and advocating for the
rights of black gun owners. Some of the work included coordinating meals for the homeless, youth picnics and
self-defense classes – but that’s not what interested the FBI.

Investigators began monitoring Balogun, whose legal name is Christopher Daniels, after he participated in an Austin,
Texas, rally in March 2015 protesting against law enforcement, special agent Aaron Keighley testified in court.

The FBI, Keighley said, learned of the protest from a video on Infowars, a far-right site run by the commentator Alex
Jones, known for spreading false news and conspiracy theories.

The reference to Infowars stunned Balogun: “They’re using a conspiracy theorist video as a reason to justify their
tyranny? That is a big insult.”

Keighley made no mention of Balogun’s specific actions at the rally, but noted the marchers’ anti-police statements,
such as “oink oink bang bang” and “the only good pig is a pig that’s dead”. The agent also mentioned Balogun’s
Facebook posts calling a murder suspect in a police officer’s death a “hero” and expressing “solidarity” with the man
who killed officers in Texas when he posted: “They deserve what they got.”

Keighley, however, later admitted the FBI had no evidence of Balogun making any specific threats about harming
police.

At the time of his Facebook posts, Balogun said he was angry and “venting” about the high-profile cases of police
killing innocent black men and women in America, including Alton Sterling and Philando Castile. He was particularly
disgusted with the way the media and law enforcement officials portrayed the killings as justified and said that when
he wrote those posts “I just mimicked their reactions to our killings.”

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp