Interesting People mailing list archives

Re. Blockchain is not only crappy technology but a bad vision for the future

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 14:12:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Roger Bohn" <Rbohn () ucsd edu>
Date: May 6, 2018 at 8:02:45 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re. Blockchain is not only crappy technology but a bad vision for the future

In article <9676F745-D55E-43BD-B93A-C3CDAD921F57 () gmail com> you write:

Comments welcome djf

The original Kai Stinchcombe articles are indeed very interesting and mostly persuasive.

https://hackernoon.com/ten-years-in-nobody-has-come-up-with-a-use-case-for-blockchain-ee98c180100 (December 2017)

https://medium.com/@kaistinchcombe/decentralized-and-trustless-crypto-paradise-is-actually-a-medieval-hellhole-c1ca122efdec
 (April 2018)

JL’s response is funny, but still begs clarification.

We all agree that Blockchain is more than a proposed method for cryptocurrency. Some advocates conflate the two, and
some even conflate “Bitcoin” with all cryptocurrency. Major confusion ensues.

It is indeed obvious that Bitcoin, with its current electricity-gobbling and ultra-slow instantiation, has no
practical value. The Bitcoin bubble will crash.

Can some other cryptocurrency solve these problems and become useful? The claim made by Stinchcombe is “no,” because
there is no inherent value in decentralized currency. This is the big message of his December article. I am (right
now) 80% persuaded by the argument. But in any case IMHO there are additional reasons to be skeptical of
cryptocurrency.

The other half of his analysis is more interesting because more novel: there is no value in a distributed ledger for
ANY purpose! This is re-iterated in his April article.
a. Any blockchain system is ridiculously inefficient for storing information, because it replicates the actual bytes
on a massive scale, it requires significant “proof of effort,” and so forth. See Quote #1
b. That leaves the advocates with one main potential class of applications: smart/self-enforcing contracts.

I have never understood what “smart contract” means. Mr. Stinchcombe’s argument seems to be that the concept is
vacuous. Some actual transaction still has to take place, and some mechanism is still needed to verify that it was
not subverted. (Quote 2) A claimed smart contract example is renting an apartment. Each month, I send the apartment
owner $1500, and the contract automatically sends me a digital key good for 30 days. BUT, how does this smart
contract know whether the digital key actually opens the door? And what if the lock breaks, or is deliberately
broken. We could add sensors, but who validates that the sensors have not been subverted?

After reading these short articles, the burden of proof is now on blockchain advocates to demonstrate that any of
their claims holds in any real world.
Roger

Quote #1

The same argument holds for proposed distributed computing and secure messaging applications. Encrypting it, storing
it forever, and replicating it across the entire network is just a ton of overhead relative to what you’re actually
trying to accomplish. There are excellent computing, messaging, and storage solutions out there that have all the
encryption and replication anyone needs — actually better than blockchain based solutions — and have plenty of other
great features in addition.

Quote 2

Blockchain systems do not magically make the data in them accurate or the people entering the data trustworthy, they
merely enable you to audit whether it has been tampered with. A person who sprayed pesticides on a mango can still
enter onto a blockchain system that the mangoes were organic. A corrupt government can create a blockchain system to
count the votes and just allocate an extra million addresses to their cronies. An investment fund whose charter is
written in software can still misallocate funds.

Roger Bohn
Professor of Technology Management
School of Global Policy and Strategy, UC San Diego
+1 858 381-2015 cell/text

Spring 2018 courses:
Big Data Analytics: https://bda2020.wordpress.com
Startup Workshop: https://UCSDstartup.com