Interesting People mailing list archives

Reply from EFF ON Brett comment on Barlow

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 11:37:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: cindy <cindy () eff org>
Date: March 22, 2018 at 11:32:22 AM EDT
To: Dave Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Aaron Jue <aaron () eff org>
Subject: Fwd: [IP] Needed Barlow quote favorites?

Hi Dave,

Sorry to be a little late in responding. We normally let Brett’s postings about us here and elsewhere roll off our
backs since it’s so unfounded, but I think two points are appropriate here:

First, I’m pretty sure Brett is wrong that the “multinationals” referenced Barlow in the quote is Google.  That quote
is from an interview in Reason in 2004, the year Google first went public.  In the same interview Barlow also said
this:  "Most libertarians are worried about government but not worried about business. I think we need to be worrying
about business in exactly the same way we are worrying about government.”  At EFF we try to do both, although it’s
true that constitutional litigation (my speciality) is by definition focused on governments.

Second, Brett is absolutely wrong about EFF.  Given how long he’s peddled this line, I suspect that actual facts —
verifiable from our published financials —  don’t matter much to him.  But so that others aren’t misled, our audited
financial statements are here:  https://www.eff.org/files/annual-report/).  Here’s some additional information:

1) EFF’s budget in 2017 was $12.0 million. This is the fiscal year, July 1/June 30 - those audited financial
statements are not done yet but will be posted soon.

-EFF received $75,000 from Google in calendar year 2017.  Most of this was earmarked for a blog post series on the
impact of the Alice patent decision called “saved by Alice” where we profile small businesses that were helped by
this decision: https://www.eff.org/alice. The Alice decision brought some much needed patent troll relief for small
businesses and is worthy of celebration and protection and I’m delighted that Google agrees with us on this one.

- EFF received $25,000 in from Facebook in 2017 to sponsor our Tech Trivia contest. We have heard that they will do
the same in 2018.

2) EFF's budget in 2016 was $10.4 million (https://www.eff.org/files/annual-report/2016/index.html).  EFF received
$15,500 from Google in calendar year 2016. EFF received nothing from Facebook in 2016 other than some purchase of
tickets by its lawyers to attend our annual Legal Trivia event.

Most of our corporate donation funding for the past few years has come from the Humble Bundle, where our friends at
Wolffire Games let purchasers donate to EFF (and other charities) along with their game purchase.   The rest, in
total, is still a pretty small percentage of our annual budget.  EFF is overwhelmingly funded by our individual
members — over 40,000 strong We couldn’t be more grateful for their support.

Brett disagrees with us on some policy positions.  But I think he does a disservice to your community with this sort
of unfounded attack.

Finally, EFF and the Freedom of the Press Foundation will be hosting an event about Barlow’s ideas at the Internet
Archive on April 7 from 2-6. More details coming soon.

Cindy