Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Ask Slashdot: Is There a Good Alternative to Facebook?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 20:44:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: March 25, 2018 at 8:18:27 PM EDT
To: Tom Goltz <tgoltz () QuietSoftware com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Ask Slashdot: Is There a Good Alternative to Facebook?

Unlike on Facebook, where a "real names" policy still is in force,
Google dropped Google+ real name requirements and associated account
actions long ago. That's called learning from your mistakes, something
Facebook seems to be incapable of accomplishing. And Google never
sells your personal information to third parties. Nor do they permit
third parties to buy their way into priority positions or into your
feeds.

I am, frankly, much more interested in how these firms operate today
as opposed to how they operated years ago.

--Lauren--