Interesting People mailing list archives

Re NYTimes: Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk and the Feud Over Killer Robots

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 09:26:48 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Orban <david () davidorban com>
Date: June 11, 2018 at 8:59:13 AM PDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] NYTimes: Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk and the Feud Over Killer Robots

evolution does not turn rocks into birds.

Huh? Actually that is exactly what evolution does.

It takes a very long time: 4 billion years ago there were only rocks on Earth, no birds. Now we have birds, and we've
had them for a few tens of millions of years.

There are those who are asking whether the evolution of evolution, the emergence of tools that produce faster
solutions to changing conditions, has leveled up. After the way biology has been able to produce these solutions,
we've seen the way human culture and technology did the same: the difference is astonishing, when you look around the
planet. Will we see a similar step function change with ever smarter autonomous systems?

Even if you believe we won't, it is worth letting those who want to find out the answers run their experiments. And
if in the meantime they sell stock of their companies, let them. Once they are going to be found to have been wrong
to worry, we can all rejoice, and sell the stock in their respective companies. Were it that they were right, helping
them may save the human race.

David Orban
"What is the question that I should be asking?"
twitter, linkedin, etc: davidorban

ᐧ