Interesting People mailing list archives

How Physics Lost its Way

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 22:01:18 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: July 2, 2018 at 9:10:59 PM GMT+9
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Subject: How Physics Lost its Way

Dave, FYI:

How Physics Lost its Way

Physicist Sabine Hossenfelder claims the desire for beauty and other subjective biases have led physicists astray.

Does anyone who follows physics doubt it is in trouble? When I say physics, I don’t mean applied physics, material
science or what Murray-Gell-Mann called “squalid-state physics.” I mean physics at its grandest, the effort to figure
out reality. Where did the universe come from? What is it made of? What laws govern its behavior? And how probable is
the universe? Are we here through sheer luck, or was our existence somehow inevitable?

.... For an authoritative critique of this grand quest, check out the fascinating, painfully honest new book Lost in
Math: How Beauty Leads Physics Astray, by Sabine Hossenfelder. Hossenfelder, who specializes in quantum gravity,
became a physicist two decades ago because she believed that physics represents our best hope of understanding
reality. With its combination of mathematical logic and empirical evidence, physics helps us overcome wishful
thinking and other biases. Ideally.

Lost in Math tells the story of Hossenfelder’s disillusionment, her realization that subjective factors, such as an
obsession with beauty, have infected physics. Aesthetic considerations guide physicists’ judgments of strings,
inflation, supersymmetry, multiverses and the many different interpretations of quantum mechanics.

Physicists seem to adhere to Keats’s old aphorism that truth equals beauty. In the absence of data, that principle
reduces physics to a matter of taste, not truth. You like string theory and Bach, I prefer loop-space theory and the
Beatles. “I’m not sure anymore that what we do here, in the foundations of physics, is science,” Hossenfelder writes.
“And if not, why am I wasting my time with it?”...

Continue reading at https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/how-physics-lost-its-way/