Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Quantum computers will never overcome noise issues?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 14:40:05 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <jamesd () echeque com>
Date: Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 12:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Cryptography] Quantum computers will never overcome noise
issues?
To: <cryptography () metzdowd com>

Any technology useful for processing information in the extreme quantum
domain is also useful for doing classical extremely fast at extremely
low energies, operating in the near quantum domain.  Since we are
nowhere near the near quantum domain, hard to say what will happen when
and if we get there.

We are currently stuck building circuits with 190 nanometer near UV
light, which means that quantum effects are down deep in the noise.

What we would like to be able to do is to construct circuits out of
nanoscale superconducting wires, superconducting wires that are in fact
large molecules.  At that point, it would become more apparent what was
feasible.

Any technology useful for implementing quantum computers, would also be
useful for implementing classical computers at enormously greater speeds
and lower energies than today's classical computers.

We need something better than 190 nanometer photolithography.