Interesting People mailing list archives

NSF award abstract data point

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 19:01:17 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross.stapletongray () gmail com>
Date: Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 1:49 PM
Subject: NSF award abstract data point
To: DAVID FARBER <dave () farber net>

One of the things I do on a regular basis is sieve through NSF awards
posted to Fastlane (their awards management system:
https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/servlet/A6RecentWeeks ), to note awards in
areas of professional/personal interest.  I've only just started noticing a
new para added to some (but not all) award abstracts:

This award reflects NSF's statutory mission and has been deemed worthy of
support through evaluation using the Foundation's intellectual merit and
broader impacts review criteria.

So, what do we think this might mean, that the NSF is going out of its way
to reassure us that things are all on the square? I've absolutely seen
dopey awards in the past (e.g., awards for research that I know duplicates
others' more substantial work, without seeming awareness of it), but my
default assumption would have been that the NSF was adhering to its
mission, and using appropriate means to evaluate whom to fund.

This new notice more makes me wonder as to whether it's actually true...

Ross

Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D.
Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.
Albany, CA