Interesting People mailing list archives

More 5G BS

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 07:27:03 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: December 3, 2018 at 5:04:48 AM GMT+9
To: "David J. J Farber" <Dave () Farber net>
Subject: More 5G BS

Happened across https://thehill.com/hilltv/boundless/418766-5g-will-revolutionize-senior-care-says-ceo. A reminder of
what a BS Fest 5G is. What doe sending a few bits for reporting motion need a complete multibillion dollar taking of
the comments?  "There is no just in time trigger to trigger the telemedicine. We are now in a position we can predict
the onset of a urinary tract infection 3.7 days in advance.” – what does this have to do with 5G unless there is a
big difference between 3.7 days and 3.700000001 days.

The level of BS about 5G is amazing.

In https://thehill.com/hilltv/boundless/416699-los-angeles-cio-says-5g-technology-will-transform-city-services we are
told that %G will enable better trash collection. How does reporting that a trash container is full need gigabit
connectivity? “"5G allows us an ultra-high speed connectivity that not only gives us better … “ citing examples like
trash collection and filling potholes.

Of course this is a product of a desperate PR effort to roll back any hint of network neutrality by giving the
carriers increased control of their networks and the ability to sell preferred access. This is why I wrote
https://rmf.vc/IEEEBBToInfrastructure to explain that it’s about the economic model of funding the network by selling
services that is the problem. Saying 5G is the solution is like saying that higher horsepower engines are the
solution to urban congestion.

Bob Frankston
http://Frankston.com