Interesting People mailing list archives

Alexa vs. Siri vs. Google: Which Can Carry on a Conversation Best?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 23:18:49 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: August 18, 2018 at 10:54:49 PM GMT+9
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Alexa vs. Siri vs. Google: Which Can Carry on a Conversation Best?

Alexa vs. Siri vs. Google: Which Can Carry on a Conversation Best?
By KEITH COLLINS and CADE METZ
Aug 17 2018
<https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/17/technology/alexa-siri-conversation.html>

Digital assistants like Amazon’s Echo can listen to you. And they can talk back. But that doesn’t mean they can carry
on a good conversation.

As the devices that run these assistants become more commonplace — 39 million Americans now own one, according to a
recent study — Amazon and competitors like Apple and Google foresee a day when you can chat with their assistants
like you would with a friend.

We explored the conversational limits of the leading assistants. After consulting with the companies involved and a
few artificial intelligence experts we created tests that show what they can and can’t handle. Don’t expect the
assistants to replace conversations with friends anytime soon. But the experiments — even in the moments when the
assistants screwed up — showed what these assistants could one day become in our lives.

Let’s make a list

Because these devices are not yet nimble enough to understand and respond to anything you might say, Amazon, Apple,
and Google must hone them for particular tasks, like playing a song or building a shopping list. If you stick to
these tasks, the devices are pretty good at zeroing on what you want. But even inside these small domains, they can
trip up. Listen how.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp