Interesting People mailing list archives

A Buddhism Critic Goes on a Silent Buddhist Retreat

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 05:27:40 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: August 1, 2018 at 11:05:27 PM GMT+9
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Subject: A Buddhism Critic Goes on a Silent Buddhist Retreat

Dave, I thought your list might find this report interesting. John Horgan

A Buddhism Critic Goes on a Silent Buddhist Retreat

Something weird happens to a skeptical science writer during a week of meditation, chanting and sky-gazing.

I’ve been hard on Buddhism over the years (see for example my critique of the recent bestseller Why Buddhism Is
True). But I like to think I’m open-minded. So I recently put my skepticism to the test by going on a weeklong silent
Buddhist retreat, which my pro-Buddhism friends Lisa and Bob argued was my moral obligation.

The retreat rocked me. I’m still trying to make sense of it, but I’m going to take a stab at describing it, if only
for my own sake. As I told Julie, a teacher who advised me not to write during the retreat, I’m not sure what happens
to me until I write about it....

Continue at https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/a-buddhism-critic-goes-on-a-silent-buddhist-retreat/