Interesting People mailing list archives

Facebook Is Tracking Me Even Though I'm Not on Facebook

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 07:18:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: April 10, 2018 at 5:33:19 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Facebook Is Tracking Me Even Though I'm Not on Facebook

Facebook Is Tracking Me Even Though I’m Not on Facebook
Facebook collects data about people who have never even opted in. But there are ways these non-users can protect
themselves.
By Daniel Kahn Gillmor, Senior Staff Technologist, ACLU Speech, Privacy, and Technology Project
Apr 5 2018
<https://medium.com/aclu/facebook-is-tracking-me-even-though-im-not-on-facebook-ee7a23429711>

I don’t use Facebook. I’m not technophobic — I’m a geek. I’ve been using email since the early 1990s, I have accounts
on hundreds of services around the net, and I do software development and internet protocol design both for work and
for fun. I believe that a globe-spanning communications network like the internet can be a positive social force, and
I publish much of my own work on the open web.

But Facebook and other massive web companies represent a strong push toward unaccountable centralized social control,
which I think makes our society more unequal and more unjust. The Cambridge Analytica scandal is one instance of this
long-running problem with what I call the “surveillance economy.” I don’t want to submit to these power structures,
and I don’t want my presence on such platforms to serve as bait that lures other people into the digital panopticon.

But while I’ve never “opted in” to Facebook or any of the other big social networks, Facebook still has a detailed
profile that can be used to target me. I’ve never consented to having Facebook collect my data, which can be used to
draw very detailed inferences about my life, my habits, and my relationships. As we aim to take Facebook to task for
its breach of user trust, we need to think about what its capabilities imply for society overall. After all, if you
do #deleteFacebook, you’ll find yourself in my shoes: non-consenting, but still subject to Facebook’s globe-spanning
surveillance and targeting network.

There are at least two major categories of information available to Facebook about non-participants like me:
information from other Facebook users, and information from sites on the open web.

Information from other Facebook users

When you sign up for Facebook, it encourages you to upload your list of contacts so that the site can “find your
friends.” Facebook uses this contact information to learn about people, even if those people don’t agree to
participate. It also links people together based on who they know, even if the shared contact hasn’t agreed to this
use.

For example, I received an email from Facebook that lists the people who have all invited me to join Facebook: my
aunt, an old co-worker, a friend from elementary school, etc. This email includes names and email addresses —
including my own name — and at least one web bug designed to identify me to Facebook’s web servers when I open the
email. Facebook records this group of people as my contacts, even though I’ve never agreed to this kind of data
collection.

Similarly, I’m sure that I’m in some photographs that someone has uploaded to Facebook — and I’m probably tagged in
some of them. I’ve never agreed to this, but Facebook could still be keeping track.

So even if you decide you need to join Facebook, remember that you might be giving the company information about
someone else who didn’t agree to be part of its surveillance platform.

Information from sites on the open Web

Nearly every website that you visit that has a “Like” button is actually encouraging your browser to tell Facebook
about your browsing habits. Even if you don’t click on the “Like” button, displaying it requires your browser to send
a request to Facebook’s servers for the “Like” button itself. That request includes information mentioning the name
of the page you are visiting and any Facebook-specific cookies your browser might have collected. (See Facebook’s own
description of this process.) This is called a “third-party request.”

This makes it possible for Facebook to create a detailed picture of your browsing history — even if you’ve never even
visited Facebook directly, let alone signed up for a Facebook account.

Think about most of the web pages you’ve visited — how many of them don’t have a “Like” button? If you administer a
website and you include a “Like” button on every page, you’re helping Facebook to build profiles of your visitors,
even those who have opted out of the social network. Facebook’s “Share” buttons on other sites — along with other
tools — work a bit differently from the “Like” button, but do effectively the same thing.

The profiles that Facebook builds on non-users don’t necessarily include so-called “personally identifiable
information” (PII) like names or email addresses. But they do include fairly unique patterns. Using Chromium’s NetLog
dumping, I performed a simple five-minute browsing test last week that included visits to various sites — but not
Facebook. In that test, the PII-free data that was sent to Facebook included information about which news articles I
was reading, my dietary preferences, and my hobbies.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp