Interesting People mailing list archives

Facebook guessing users' religions? Disgusting.

From: "DAVID FARBER" <dfarber () me com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 18:24:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: September 21, 2017 at 6:15:51 PM EDT
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Facebook guessing users' religions? Disgusting.

Facebook guessing users' religions? Disgusting.

Facebook is wishing some of its "Jewish" users a Happy New Year.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/21/technology/business/facebook-rosh-hashanah-ad-targeting/index.html

     "Happy New Year! All of us at Facebook wish you a sweet and
   happy new year."  While the note was well received by some,
   others questioned how exactly the social network was aware of
   their religious affiliation. In some cases, Facebook users who
   aren't Jewish were also served the message.

- - -

I despise systems that make assumptions about users' religions -- and
frankly, I'm fairly disgusted with humans who make such assumptions
also. If you tell someone (or some thing) what your religions is -- if
any -- OK fine, that's a data point. Otherwise, you're guessing, and
guessing wrong is at the least impolite and at worst can be actually
dangerous. As for me, I'm with George Carlin on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE
(As you would assume, not safe for work