Interesting People mailing list archives

Penguins starving to death is a sign that something's very wrong in the Antarctic

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 06:11:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: October 14, 2017 at 5:59:37 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Penguins starving to death is a sign that something's very wrong in the Antarctic

Penguins starving to death is a sign that something’s very wrong in the Antarctic
Overfishing, oil drilling, pollution and climate change are imperilling the ecosystem. But ocean sanctuaries could
help protect what belongs to us all
By John Sauven
Oct 13 2017
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/13/penguins-starving-death-something-very-wrong-antarctic>

The awful news that all but two penguin chicks have starved to death out of a colony of almost 40,000 birds is a grim
illustration of the enormous pressure Antarctic wildlife is under. The causes of this devastating event are complex,
from a changing climate to local sea-ice factors, but one thing penguins, whales and other marine life don’t need is
additional strain on food supplies.

Over the next year we have the opportunity to create an Antarctic Ocean Sanctuary – the largest protected area on
Earth – which would put the waters off-limits to the industrial fishing vessels currently sucking up the tiny
shrimp-like krill, on which all Antarctic life relies.

In 1990, the Voyager 1 space probe looked back at Earth from six billion kilometres away and took a historic selfie
of our solar system. What it saw, according to renowned astrophysicist Carl Sagan, was a “pale blue dot”.

“Our planet is a blue planet,” echoed David Attenborough, in his opening words to the BBC’s landmark Blue Planet
series. With over 70% of our world covered by water, this is no exaggeration. Our oceans can be seen from across the
solar system.

The majority of this water falls outside of national borders. In fact, almost half of our planet is a marine natural
wonder outside the boundaries of flags, languages and national divisions. These vast areas cover 230 million square
kilometres, and they belong to us all. To give a sense of scale, that’s the size of every single continent combined,
with another Asia, Europe and Africa thrown in for good measure. The size of our oceans may seem overwhelming. Our
collective responsibility to protect them, however, should not.

It wasn’t long ago that the oceans were thought to be too vast to be irrevocably impacted by human actions, but the
effects of overfishing, oil drilling, deep sea mining, pollution and climate change have shown that humans are more
than up to the task of imperilling the sea and the animals that live there.

All of us who live on this planet are the guardians of these environments, not only to protect the wildlife that
lives in them, but because the health of our oceans sustains our planet and the livelihoods of billions of people.

Here’s the good news. The tide of history is turning. We on the blue planet are finally looking seriously at
protecting the blue bits. Just a few months ago, in a stuffy room far from the sea, governments from around the world
agreed to start a process to protect them: an ocean treaty.

This ocean treaty won’t be agreed until at least 2020, but in the meantime momentum is already building towards
serious and binding ocean protection. Just last year a huge 1.5 million sq km area was protected in the Ross Sea in
the Antarctic. In a turbulent political climate, it was a momentous demonstration of how international cooperation to
protect our shared home can and does work.

Over the next two weeks, the governments responsible for the Antarctic are meeting to discuss the future of the
continent and its waters. While limited proposals are on the table this year, when they reconvene in 12 months’ time
they have a historic opportunity to create the largest ever protected area on Earth: an Antarctic Ocean sanctuary.
Covering the Weddell Sea next to the Antarctic peninsula, it would be five times the size of Germany, the country
proposing it.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp