Interesting People mailing list archives

Will the fate of America's democracy be decided by this US supreme court case?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 07:33:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Will the fate of America's democracy be decided by this US supreme court case?
Date: October 3, 2017 at 7:08:18 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>

Will the fate of America's democracy be decided by this US supreme court case?
On Tuesday, the court will hear arguments on whether a redistricting plan in the state of Wisconsin was
unconstitutional. The case could transform US politics
By Russ Feingold
Oct 3 2017
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/03/america-democracy-us-supreme-gerrymandering>

On Tuesday, the US supreme court hears oral arguments in Gill v Whitford. This will open the door for a potentially
precedent-setting ruling on the constitutionality of partisan gerrymandering – the process of redrawing electoral
districts in order to favor one party over another.

The past several years have seen a new level of hyper-partisan gerrymandering that defies voters and has subverted
our democracy. Thus far, however, the court has refused to rule on the constitutionality of this political ploy,
deferring instead to the political process.

The result is a system that demands immediate course correction. While there is progress to be made at the state
level, in today’s political climate, the supreme court is best poised to demand the needed course correction before
this illegitimate political ploy further distorts our elections.

The idea of drawing district lines to benefit one party or the other is not new. However, a confluence of specific
events over the past decade has made gerrymandering a lethal science to our democratic legitimacy.

Those events include the 2010 Citizens United ruling that unleashed record amounts of dark money into our elections;
the 2013 Shelby County v Holder ruling that undid a central pillar of the 1965 Voting Rights Act and innovations in
computer programming.

Broadly speaking, Democrats have an overwhelming advantage in terms of numbers. More voters identify as Democrats in
this country than as Republicans, and the margin is growing as our country becomes more diverse.

Republicans experienced this disadvantage in 2008 when President Obama was elected amid a wave of Democratic
victories across the country, resulting in Democratic control of the executive and legislative branches. While the
loss was devastating to Republicans, the timing was convenient.

Republicans understood then that they were facing a long-term, if not permanent, numerical disadvantage, and in
response they set out to game the system. They looked ahead to the 2010 census, knowing that district maps would be
re-examined with the latest census data. They seized upon this in developing a strategy to win more seats with fewer
votes using a toxic combination of voter suppression and gerrymandering.

In the 2010 election, Republicans targeted certain individual districts in certain states, aiming to flip state
legislatures. In the wake of the January 2010 Citizens United ruling, the floodgates of dark money were opened going
into elections that November, enabling Republicans to overwhelm strategic local races.

At the local level, a couple of hundred thousand dollars can swing an election, particularly at a time when Democrats
did not see the broader strategy at play and did not anticipate the financial assault on these local races.
Republicans gained control of a majority of state legislatures in 2010, giving them control over redistricting in
those states.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp