Interesting People mailing list archives

Understanding Quantum Computers: MOOC opening today

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 05:39:36 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Date: October 2, 2017 at 3:13:34 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Cc: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Subject: Understanding Quantum Computers: MOOC opening today

Dave, for IP, if you don’t mind just a smidge of self-promotion. Given the constant interest in quantum computing
here on IP, I would expect there to be some folks happy to see this announcement.

We are doing a *free* MOOC (massive online open course) on quantum computers!
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/intro-to-quantum-computing/

The course started *today* (Monday, Oct. 2).  The targeted completion
time is three weeks, and it will remain open for a couple of weeks
after that.  Learners from more than 100 countries and territories are
already active.  Join us and learn about quantum computing!

The course is targeted to be 10-15 hours for two audiences; sixteen-
to twenty-year-olds who might be attracted to study quantum computing
in college, and working programmers who are just getting interested in
QC. The goal is to bring people into the field, and to broaden
understanding of the basic concepts among the general public. The
course is as rigorous as we can make it without advanced math,
hopefully preparing you for more thorough study in a college course.
There will be kets and vectors with 2^n elements and graphical vector
manipulations, but not real linear algebra and calculus.

This is a lot more than just videotape of me standing in a regular
lecture hall.  The course consists consists of:

* 50,000 words in 36 text articles
* dozens of diagrams and diagrammatic animations
* 21 short, high production value videos, totalling about two hours
* 4 JavaScript apps for demonstrating some concepts (1-D and 2-D
 interference, Euclid's algorithm, etc.)
* 5 3-D printable models for some concepts (e.g., 2-D
 interference) both for furn and to help vision-impaired learners
* 9 multiple choice or fill-in-the-blank quizzes
* 8 discussion boards, which we monitor and contribute to

We have a fantastic team: Prof. Keiko Okawa has been doing online
learning since the 90s, and leads Keio's Digital Media Content Center.
Three people from DMC are producing the videos. I'm the lead educator.
My research associate Takahiko Satoh is contributing, as well. A trio
of grad students and several of my undergrads are doing the apps and
various tasks.

The platform is FutureLearn, which came out of the Open University in
the UK. They have a particular teaching style, especially keeping
individual steps short and adding as much interactivity as is
reasonable. They also emphasize accessibility. In this sense, it's
rather different from EdX and Coursera.  Overall, it's interesting,
and I agree with parts of their philosophy. Ask me later in the fall
how well it works out in practice.

See you online!

       —Rod