Interesting People mailing list archives

Google plans to 'de-rank' Russia Today and Sputnik to combat misinformation

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 13:11:12 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: November 23, 2017 at 9:26:12 AM EST
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Google plans to 'de-rank' Russia Today and Sputnik to combat misinformation

Google plans to 'de-rank' Russia Today and Sputnik to combat misinformation
Alphabet chief executive Eric Schmidt says Google and other tech companies must act against state-run Russian news
agencies to stop spread of falsehoods
By Alex Hern
Nov 21 2017
<https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/21/google-de-rank-russia-today-sputnik-combat-misinformation-alphabet-chief-executive-eric-schmidt>

Eric Schmidt, the chief executive of Google’s parent company Alphabet, has said the search engine is preparing to
take action against state-run Russian news agencies, including Russia Today and Sputnik, which are accused of
spreading propaganda by US intelligence agencies.

“We’re working on detecting this kind of scenario ... and de-ranking those kinds of sites,” Schmidt said, in response
to a question at an event in Halifax, Canada. “It’s basically RT and Sputnik. We’re well aware and we’re trying to
engineer the systems to prevent it.”

Google has faced criticism for promoting the two news sites by including them in its Google News service – a curated
list of legitimate news sites – as well as other algorithmic services that select and promote news.

Schmidt described the previous approach of the technology industry to misinformation as “naive”, arguing that “almost
all the things in Alphabet and the other tech companies can be understood as the maturation of what we do.

“Ten years ago I thought that everyone would be able to deal with the internet because the internet, as we all knew,
was full of falsehoods as well as truths. But faced with the data, from what we’ve seen from Russia in 2016 and with
other actors around the world, we have to act.”

According to Motherboard, which first reported Schmidt’s comments, he claimed the Russian disinformation strategy was
easy to combat, since it is based on “amplification around a message” of information that is “repetitive,
exploitative, false, [or] likely to have been weaponised”.

“My own view is that these patterns can be detected, and that they can be taken down or deprioritised.”

But he denied going as far as to ban the two news sites. “We don’t want to ban the sites. That’s not how we operate,”
Schmidt said. “I am strongly not in favour of censorship. I am very strongly in favour of ranking. It’s what we do.

“It’s a very legitimate question as to how we rank, A or B, right? And we do the best we can in millions and millions
of rankings every day.”

Russia Today’s editor-in-chief, Margarita Simonyan, issued a statement in response noting that Google’s own internal
review system had found that the news site had broken no rules.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp