Interesting People mailing list archives

I didn't understand how widespread rape was. Then the penny dropped

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 11:09:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: November 7, 2017 at 10:30:43 AM EST
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] I didn't understand how widespread rape was. Then the penny dropped

I didn't understand how widespread rape was. Then the penny dropped
I’m a lefty academic versed in feminist theory. Still, I rebelled against the idea that rich and powerful men
regularly rape or attempt to rape women
By David Graeber
Nov 5 2017
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/05/dsk-sexual-assault-feminism-weinstein-casting-couch>

This is a very difficult column for me to write because it’s about my mother.

A week or two after the then IMF director Dominique Strauss-Kahn was arrested for sexually assaulting a chambermaid
in a posh New York hotel in 2011, there was another case when an Egyptian businessman was briefly arrested for a
similar assault at another such New York hotel.

This first struck me as puzzling. It could hardly be a copycat crime; considering the drama surrounding the arrest
and travails of DSK, it was inconceivable that anyone would see this and say: “Oh good idea, I’ll attack a
chambermaid as well.”

Then it dawned on me.

The only logical explanation was that businessmen, politicians, officials and financiers rape, or attempt to rape,
hotel workers all the time. It’s just that normally, those assaulted know there’s nothing they can do about it.

In DSK’s case, someone – for whatever complex political reasons – must have refused to make the usual phone call.
There was a scandal. As a result, when the next assault took place, the survivor must have said to herself, “Oh, so
does this mean we actually are allowed to call the cops now if a customer tries to rape us?” and acted accordingly.
And sure enough this is precisely what turned out to have happened. (In the end, both women were silenced, and
neither man convicted of any crime.)

What I really want to draw attention to here is my initial reaction of disbelief: “Sure things are bad; but it can’t
be that bad.” Even a lefty academic versed in feminist theory instinctively rebelled against the idea that rich and
powerful men regularly rape or attempt to rape the women cleaning their rooms, that this happens all the time, that
everyone in the hotel industry knows it happens (since they must know), and that those rich and powerful men in turn
know they could get away with it because if any woman they attacked did protest too strenuously, everyone would move
in lockstep to do whatever was required to make the problem go away.

It’s of course this very disbelief that allows such things to happen. We are loth to accept people we might know
might practice pure, naked aggression. This is how bullies get away with what they do. I’ve written about this.

Bullying is not just a relation between bully and victim. It’s really a three-way relation, between bully, victim and
everyone who refuses to do anything about the aggression; all those people who say “boys will be boys” or pretend
there’s some equivalence between aggressor and aggressed. Who see a conflict and say “it doesn’t matter who started
it” even in cases where, in reality, nothing could possibly matter more.

It makes no difference if there’s a real physical audience or if the audience just exists inside the victim’s head.
You know what will happen if you fight back. You know what people will say about you. You internalize it. Before
long, even if nothing is said, you can’t help wonder if these things they would say are actually true.

Sexual predation is a particular variety of bullying but like all forms of bullying it operates above all in
precisely this way by destroying the victim’s sense of self.

I had another, similar, horrified moment of realization in reading Dame Emma Thompson’s remarks about Harvey
Weinstein. Not because of her observation that his predations were, as she said, “the tip of the iceberg” – this is
surely true, but not entirely unknown; what startled me was one word. She described Weinstein’s behavior as typical
of “a system of harassment and belittling and bullying and interference” that women had faced from time immemorial.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp