Interesting People mailing list archives

Re The Washington Post: Securing North Korean nuclear sites would require a ground invasion, Pentagon says

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 22:35:57 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>
Date: Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 5:34 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] The Washington Post: Securing North Korean nuclear sites
would require a ground invasion, Pentagon says
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
CC: Rodney Van Meter <rdv () sfc wide ad jp>, ip <ip () listbox com>

An alternative approach.
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/11/trump-help-nuclear-north-korea/544664/

"Despite official pronouncements that the U.S. will never accept a
Pyongyang with nuclear weapons, the reality is that, short of a massive war
that removes the Kim regime, North Korea appears unstoppably headed to
becoming a nuclear-weapons-capable state. It may seem counterintuitive, but
the U.S. needs to worry less about the risk of a North Korean nuclear war
than about a nuclear accident. And as President Trump embarks on his trip
through Asia, he would do well—as crazy as this sounds—to consider how the
U.S. can help Kim keep his nukes safe. “

I’m only halfway through the argument, and I don’t think what the author is
proposing is practical, but it’s in the broad design space and worth
thinking about.

NK will not let the world feel safe about it, until it feels safe. The
ideal would be to bring it peacefully into the community of nations with
trade and other relations, like has happened with China, most of the former
Soviet Union, and currently Myanmar. Unfortunately, persecution is an
important part of the narrative in DPRK, so I doubt it would work out well.
There is also the issue of their trade with other, even less savory
partners, which I doubt they can be persuaded to give up even with a large
carrot of aid.

There are just no good solutions on the peninsula…

—Rod

*Securing North Korean nuclear sites would require a ground invasion,
Pentagon says*
The Washington Post

A Navy admiral sent a blunt assessment of the dangers of military action to
lawmakers. Read the full story <https://apple.news/AQI8r4VEFQUGztrxx6qmSYw>

Shared from Apple News <https://www.apple.com/news/>

Archives <https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/=now>
<https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/247/1297676-73f06f13> | Modify