Interesting People mailing list archives

Re What the Republican Health Plan Gets Right

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 20:21:10 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sidney Karin <skarin () ucsd edu>
Date: Sat, May 6, 2017 at 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re What the Republican Health Plan Gets Right
To: dave () farber net <dave () farber net>

Dave,

For IP if you like.

As an engineer I like to think in cost/benefit terms.  To a first
approximation
Obamacare got the benefit right, but got the cost wrong.  To a first
approximation
the AHCA gets the costs right, but gets the benefit wrong.

I think that a good case could be made that we have already reached the
point that we could spend the GDP on useful (extend life, improve quality
of
life) healthcare,  not including all of the waste inherent in AHCA,
Obamacare
and what preceded it.

If we haven’t reached that point we soon will and in the not too distant
future
we will be capable of delivering useful healthcare in significant multiples
of
the GDP.   This begs the question of what basic health care should be made
available to everyone?  Obviously, not all conceivable health care.  We will
ration health care.  Indeed, we already ration health care, witness such
items
as Lasik surgery.  Those who get it pay out of their own pocket.  Those who
cannot afford it do not get it.

We need a debate about what we think should be available to all and what
will be available only to those with sufficient resources of their own.
Some
things seem obvious, including my Lasik example.  On the other side of the
ledger vaccines seem obvious.  Real emergency care is another.

The debates of recent years seem focussed on the costs and try, or at least
pay lip service to, delivering all available health care to everyone.  That
isn’t
going to work.  It already doesn’t work.  We need to refocus the debate.
Who
should pay how much is only part, albeit an important part, of the problem.

Cheers,

…….Sid