Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Supreme Court Rules Patent Laws Can't Be Used to Prevent Reselling

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 16:35:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: May 31, 2017 at 2:40:02 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Supreme Court Rules Patent Laws Can't Be Used to Prevent Reselling

Over the centuries our legal system has developed various policies that are generally lumped under the heading of
"anti dynastic".  These policies are intended to erode concentrations of wealth and control over a period of years or
generations.  Some examples are the banning of "entails" on real property, limits on the duration of copyright and
patent, and inheritance taxes.

This new Supreme Court ruling could be seen as a step along that road - a step that says that there are limits on how
far a creator can control downstream uses.  In particular, are there clear markers on the trail of downstream use
that can be used as places to indicate where the creator's control is reduced and, the downstream user's control
increased?

One such marker is a transfer of ownership, a sale.  For books there has long been the first sale doctrine.  (That
doctrine seems to be fading as electronic books are "licensed" rather than "sold" - but that's another story.)

In the realm of copyrighted software there are similar events - transfers that we often don't call a "sale" but
which, nonetheless, are identifiable steps in the chain of control that forms use of that software as it moves
downstream from its original creators.  In the case of software, often those downstream users add their own gloss or
improvements.

Which brings me to software licenses that impose downstream restrictions, particularly those that are "viral" in the
sense that they impose obligations even on those improvements or changes that a downstream user makes.  One such
license is the common GPL in its various versions.

I am curious whether the rational of this new case might eventually be used to create new anti-dynastic style rules
that would cause provisions, such as seen in viral software license, to erode over time and downstream dissemination?
 To be a bit more concrete, could the logic of this case be a lever that could be used to weaken the obligation in
the GPL that a downstream user's own additions to a GPL'd work must themselves be disseminated under the GPL?

               --karl--

--
This message was sent to the list address and trashed, but can be found online.
at https://www.listbox.com/login/messages/view/20170531144010:917D771A-4630-11E7-8B6B-91A30430DB90