Interesting People mailing list archives

Re These Failed Apps Discovered a Hidden Rule of the Web

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 00:05:55 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Hasan Diwan <hasan.diwan () gmail com>
Date: Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] These Failed Apps Discovered a Hidden Rule of the Web
To: dave () farber net <dave () farber net>

Dave,
[For IP, if you so choose]
I'm one of those left, possibly hard left, leaning individuals on reddit.
The fund I work at invested in a startup that seeks to turn reddit into a
PDF document, for testing they used the_donald as it is one of the more
active subreddits on the system, I read through the_donald the other day
and what I found puts the youtube comments section to shame, from my
perspective. A few highlights:

- Typical Libcuck Opinion On Our Support For European Nationalists
- Is Child Rape A War Crime?
- New York Scraps Literacy Test For Teachers After Minorities Fail To Pass
It | The Daily Sheeple

To the first headline, you can support whomever you wish to support in any
election. To wit, I'm a left-wing European and supported Mr Sanders.
To the second headline, I find rape of any kind -- man, woman, or child --
abhorrent and feel the perpetrators should be prosecuted to the harshest
extent of the law and I strongly believe that spending a life behind bars
is the way to go here, as I'm against the death penalty.
And, finally, and most amusingly, the third. I went and did a quick read of
the piece that was linked to. The linked piece[1] conflates skin colour
with English ability. Let me explain. When I took French and German in
school, I wasn't aware of the teacher's ability in the English language --
it just isn't relevant to the class at hand. Argentinians see themselves as
white, yet speak poor English. So, they would be qualified to teach pupils
under the article's terms, but I wouldn't? Even though I went to the same
school as half the British cabinet?

Throughout my education, whether in grade school, or tertiary, I've had
teachers of varying race who taught me to varying degrees of quality. The
biggest metric I came up with to use to gauge whether a teacher would be
effective or not was how engaging they were in their explanations of the
topic on a given day. And being "engaging", while hard to measure, had
nothing to do with the amount of melanin in their skin.

Now, I'm sure some of the right-leaning members of this list will be
tempted to say something along the lines of, "Hasan, you read these things
too carefully, you need to recognise the emotions underlying the words".
No, no, I don't, it's an article, not a theatrical performance. -- H