Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Tesla Driver In Fatal Florida Crash Got Numerous Warnings To Take Control Back From Autopilot

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:03:25 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis:Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com>
Date: June 20, 2017 at 11:19:32 AM CDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Tesla Driver In Fatal Florida Crash Got Numerous Warnings To Take Control Back From Autopilot

Dave,

I can imagine plenty of hypotheses under which a driver will not take back control:  unconsciousness, extreme nausea,
blurred vision, muscle spasm, etc, etc.  The premise that a driver somehow "must" resume control seems very flawed.
what should the vehicle do? slam on the brakes? drive faster? drive slower?  The whole point of the alert system is
that something is happening that the vehicle suspects a driver would do better. "please take control" "please take
control" "ok fine I had a plan anyways..."  This makes no sense.

Why are we holding autonomous vehicles to a much higher standard than we do for people?

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
2-45 Helene-Duval
Gatineau Quebec